I am having one particular struggle recently...being interrupted - I seriously hate
being interrupted. And it seems that my conversations with God and people are constantly being disturbed. OH it drives me bonkers!! I just want direct eye
contact. I think that my conversations would not take as long if I wasn’t
interrupted by something else. And you know, it’s not just other people cutting
in, it’s the actual person I speak to…okay, and sometimes it’s my own wandering
mind. Seriously. This world is breeding communicators with short attention spans.
Gah!
SO with this recent annoyance, I made an effort this
past week, for starters, to press into quiet time.
I was interrupted once. At first I threw my hands
up, and said “That is it! I have nothing in me to keep on pursuing!"
BUT THEN! I was interrupted a second time, but by the quickening of the Spirit. I realized that the first interruption, was only one
moment. It wouldn't be a waste if I tried to press in again.
I asked Him: “Okay. I position myself to you right here and now. Mmm. Show me
any place that I have not trusted you with. Reveal something
specific to me.”
By the end of the session of wading in His presence, it hit me: “Proverbs 3:5; Trust in the Lord your God, and do not
lean on your own understanding.”
That is it. I have leaned on
my own understanding. I have invested in my enjoyment of having everything be
in the “right” way. I have resorted to OCD. OHH you have no idea how much of an
eye opener this is for me!!
I like plans, I like to KNOW details. I like all my
ducks in a row. I tend to have a strong desire to hide away when it comes to
exposure. The biggest area for me is friendship. I have no clue why it has
been a struggle to come out of my shell. I lack patience - and I guess there is no time for patience, because all my breath is wasted on analyzing and correction!
I don’t like to be
interrupted.
Then, I was brought back to language. It is a given that my number one love language is encouraging
words/words of affirmation. However! It has only been this year that I have
figured out my second (maybe even new number one) is quality time.
What a revelation this is
for me! There were so many social experiences when I felt hurt when no one gave me eye contact. I would so often sulk in feeling unnoticed. And yet, I had no clue why I was giving into these lies. I didn't know the source!
But now it’s like: ding ding
ding!! That’s why I avoid speaking to people who are already talking, because I don’t
want to interrupt. Now it makes sense when I can open up more in a smaller group of people instead of a larger group. I get it! I have
this box where everything has to be in place. I prefer waiting for the “right
time”. I even recognize how much I like to
feel for other people. I like to give facial expressions….but only if it is a “safe”
place to do it in.
It’s easy to express my
passion with words, but it’s a different thing to express my passion with action.…..It’s a whole different adventure to move my heart to my feet….
I’ve made the action just
this week to recognize my language, but also recognize that it’s not okay to
take the extremes of situations. I need to let go on my understanding of “the
right way.” And just go with the rhythm of grace. My agenda doesn't exist in the Kingdom. There is no superficial calendar of when the breaking of heaven will occur. I need to let go of constantly trying to have the "right" date and time!!
After all, He is my grace.
And He is a wonderful gentleman – He knows the right time to interrupt
and nudge me when I am leaning on my own understanding.
In fact, Jesus is the Ultimate Intercessor! He came and stood in the gap. He interrupted the punishment. He came in. What a God. What a Gentleman.

Absolutely amazing, Lilly! You express yourself so well & are coming to some awesome realizations.
ReplyDeleteOne thing I want you to always remember is, there is no shame in asking for what you want. There are times to be patient and times to assert yourself with what you want. If quality time is what you want, ask for it. It wouldn't be in your heart if it wasn't important.
I love you so much!
Pam