Let me just come out and
say it: I have made things too complicated.
I suppose we all do. But recently, I notice a slight
cockiness in the way I overload words, explanations, or appearance, attitude, and
thoughts.
So I am retreating to the
basics. Not in the sense of retreating out of defeat, but simply out of the
fact that I can retreat. I am adjusting my perspective. Running towards Jesus.
Not going back, but going forward under His shade.
For this post I have a phrase: “when
the music fades.”
This morning, during a Sunday
school lesson for 4-6 year olds, we made flowers out of tissue paper with the kids. Our focus was on family love.
We had a song playing at the
end, and let the kids dance along. They held their flowers and danced for a
while. There was a good mix. Some were into it, while others were not all that sure
about acting silly (which is totally fine and beautiful! Reminds me of how each
and every child has their way of connecting).
One girl, in particular, was
totally into it. As the music started settling down, she stayed in perfect rhythm.
Even when the music was over, she continued on doing her thing. She had motions, and sways, that were elegant – in a little girl type of way. Oh
her dress twirled back and forth. In her sandals, she tried to move on her
tip-toes, and glided her arms this way and that. She was focused on what she was
doing. Almost performing, I suspect that she has taken some classes. But she genuinely
seemed to be enjoying herself!
Mmm. Even when the music
faded, when other kids “got it” and moved on….she kept on dancing.
What an image.
I had a moment.
Which brought me to this….
I remember singing this when I was in kids
church. There was something that happened, when I just made it about Him. Not
that I’d really even made it about anyone else, I wasn’t the type to want
people to notice me. Instead, I would often struggle with my thoughts drifting, this way and
that.
I made it all about Jesus when I opened up my heart, once I took off the “bowling-bumpers”,
and left out the hesitation.
We can stay in rhythm of His
heartbeat, even when we convince ourselves we cannot hear. Even when the trip
to the mountain is over….we can align ourselves to His Spirit and Word.
Even when the obvious
ministry at church "ends" on a Sunday….there is room for more.
My goal this week, is to
simply love the people living in my home. Maybe even by their language instead
of mine. Even though we all share the same DNA, each person in my family is
very unique. May this post hold me accountable to go to the simple true worshiping heart.
No comments:
Post a Comment