Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Six Boxes of Consequence


After we make a choice…there is a result; after we act there is a reaction, a response.

Continuing out my comparison to Aladdin:
(This is a ten min clip. But only need to watch about 5 minuets, due to the ending credits)



Now, what I find most valuable in this movie, is not within the idea that I feel the directors were trying to make it look: biblically symbolic. Perhaps they did, I don’t know their thoughts…but the movie was made by Disney, and it takes some clear insight to know the deep morals in this film! I believe, as I’ve stated in a previous post something like: “not all love stories are revealed in one movie”. Aladdin only gives a small prism into the paradigm of our life. I am not saying that you can pull anything out and make it biblical, or right, I’m just going into a little “life-comparison.” There are many stories that reflect our story. Everything we do is because God created a desire to do within us. Also, we may not find the quench to our desires in the right way every time, but that doesn’t take away the intended longing for God.

In addition to my little explanation, Aladdin isn’t Jesus. Granted, you may ask: ‘well, gee Lilly, ya never said he was.” I just want to clarify here; I’m using the movie in this instance, as a symbol. Symbolic things do not mean the literal, simply a reflection.

Okay, so on with the actual juice:

Aladdin is a poor regular citizen. By chance, he ends up in a situation where he finds Jeanie in the lamp. Aladdin is given three wishes. His first wish was spent on becoming a prince to see the love of his life: Princess Jasmine. Then evil seeps into the palace and steals the lamp away from Aladdin. So the entire land is poisoned and terrible. However, Aladdin uses wisdom to defeat the sorcerer. Everything goes back to the way it was. Good wins over all. Aladdin lives happily ever after with the girl of his dreams, and Jeanie wished free!

Now, just as a side note: Aladdin did choose to lie and pretend to be a prince – this bothers his conscience. He realizes, in a way, that he’s a lie. Shortly after he attempts to tell Jasmine, the evil sorcerer takes the lamp, and becomes pretty nasty. The bad guy reveals his self-absorbed ways, and spoils everything. He criticizes the “truths”, and reveals Aladdin’s identity as a poor regular citizen. -- THIS point, I would say is the condemnation that the enemy wants us to feel after we have made a choice for our life.

 I admire how Aladdin doesn’t just sit in the wasteland that the sorcerer put him on, but rather pushes on to go back and set things right. What really gets me is that Aladdin is in a position where he has no authority and no power, yet he goes back anyhow. Then, like I said, good wins overall.


I feel that in our relationship with God, we have a similar aspect. We choose to go in a direction, and a reaction comes. No matter what life situation; whatever the enemy puts between us and the goodness of God…God wins every time. We may not see the result right away, but the Lord is always at work no matter what.

No matter what choice we choose, the consequence will always be grace.

It’s strange to conclude that, but if you were to go to the aftermath of not being faithful in brushing your teeth for a whole year – the consequence will probably a lot of cavities. Your dentist will probably be upset with you. But he/she will also instruct you some discipline habits, and then treat you if needed, and give you a chance to do better the next brushing year!
Or say, you choose to eat a healthy diet for a season (you are what you eat) you’ll be healthy!

It’s as simple as that!

No matter what path you choose to follow, God will show up in the aftermath. Obviously, keep in mind our Choice Proportion: always go by the Holy Spirit: He is your guide and counselor!

No comments:

Post a Comment