Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Five Ounces of Choice


Definition: The opportunity or power of choosing; selection. In philosophy: a corollary of the proposition of free will-i.e., the ability voluntarily to decide to perform one of several possible acts or to avoid action entirely. An ethical choice involves ascribing qualities such as right or wrong, good or bad, better or worse to alternatives.

Each day we are faced with a choice; to choose one way or the other way. We go through a mass amount of options throughout our life. Actually we most likely go through a million choices within every minute! Consider the reaction time of our nervous system, let alone the quick process the brain makes a decision to just respond! Our choices can be new or old. Responses can be out of desire to discover, or our desire to hide behind our walls.

Something that my dad spoke to me this past spring, it has become a major life-lesson. Something among the lines of: “the actual option, circumstance, or thing we select, doesn’t matter. What is truly important is the fact that we do.” Even if we decide that we “do not make a choice” by simply sitting back – is a choice! Then there’s that fact that has really impressed me about the God I serve, is that He is so immensely great. The Lord God comes in and takes our selections and uses them! He will even take our faulty, poor decisions and use them for His glory.

I am a deep thinker and an over contemplator, so you can imagine that I have been in places where I have been concerned with not picking the right way. Hmm, I look back on last spring and my fear of making a decision. You see, anything that involves the future, bothers me. I tend to look at everything, and become overwhelmed. I am also a planner, so when The Holy Spirit’s future plan interferes with my current agenda, I become bewildered.

I’ve narrowed down a few selected options for what to do with my life after high school. I’m pretty excited, but like I said, I am a deep thinker. I haven’t always been this excited about the future. I know that freshman year, I was filled with panic. I so wanted to just leap for college and life, thought I would make one mistake and “blow it”. I look back on myself, just a few years ago, and wish I could reassure the past me, that it’s all okay. But then, I suppose, I wouldn’t be able to do this little flash back right now, if I didn’t choose to seek out wise counsel, and mentoring. Because I had the revelation, that we cannot live in the future in the present; because I discovered, that there was such a gift as a life of loving and not a story that ended with death from worrying.

Video Intro: The classic movie, Aladdin, is most inspiring. This song brings me to a place where anything is possible. In a way I picture it as Jesus coming and showing us wonder by wonder. Munching on His selected fruits. Taking us to a whole new world with Him. This is just the first part of choice...the consequence, is to be continued...but for now, take in a change of perspective, and consider the choice of going away with our Beloved........
 

No comments:

Post a Comment