Theme to consider: humility, lowliness, and heavenly riches
Inspiring video:
[Paraphrased - Mtt.19:16-30]
"If you want to be perfect, go, sell all your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come follow me."
When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.
Then Jesus said to his disciples, "I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.
Who then can be saved?
Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, with man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.
...In the kingdom, the first will be last and the last will be first."
Those who have been considered "first" in this time, will be considered last in the kingdom, and vice versa. The key to being poor is being less. The story of the Rich Young Man, as paraphrased above, is roughly a similar concept. To be humble, means not allowing one's pride of processions get in the way. If GOD says, "Drop everything you own. Sell your house, sell your expensive cell phone, quit your job," - you would do it.
Another concept (though there are many still beyond these) would be "with God all things are possible". In addition to this scripture, check out Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Him who give me strength." It is not our strength, but God's. We must be willing to give up everything, to gain everything that God has to offer us.
Matthew 5:1-12
(Message)
1-2 When Jesus saw his ministry drawing huge crowds, he climbed a hillside. Those who were apprenticed to him, the committed, climbed with him. Arriving at a quiet place, he sat down and taught his climbing companions. This is what he said:
3"You're blessed when you're at the end of your rope. With less of you there is more of God and his rule.
4"You're blessed when you feel you've lost what is most dear to you. Only then can you be embraced by the One most dear to you.
5"You're blessed when you're content with just who you are—no more, no less. That's the moment you find yourselves proud owners of everything that can't be bought.
6"You're blessed when you've worked up a good appetite for God. He's food and drink in the best meal you'll ever eat.
7"You're blessed when you care. At the moment of being 'care-full,' you find yourselves cared for.
8"You're blessed when you get your inside world—your mind and heart—put right. Then you can see God in the outside world.
9"You're blessed when you can show people how to cooperate instead of compete or fight. That's when you discover who you really are, and your place in God's family.
10"You're blessed when your commitment to God provokes persecution. The persecution drives you even deeper into God's kingdom.
11-12"Not only that—count yourselves blessed every time people put you down or throw you out or speak lies about you to discredit me. What it means is that the truth is too close for comfort and they are uncomfortable. You can be glad when that happens—give a cheer, even!—for though they don't like it, I do! And all heaven applauds. And know that you are in good company. My prophets and witnesses have always gotten into this kind of trouble.
Digest those words……..How are you applying them?
The Spirit has really been stirring me with this scripture. May this scripture be woven into my prayer life! May it also be woven into yours! It really pulls the perspective of our life. Throughout the day, I so frequently get pulled away from the core foundational teaching that Jesus gave on the Mount. Yet, Jesus is faithful – FOREVER. Each time I go to Him; each time I feel the words roll off my tongue: “humble me God,” He sees my open heart. God sees my true desire to go with Him, even though I go through the mistakes, He knows where my heart is. Since my heart is open, I respond to the areas that need to be filled up. As I speak certain areas…such as pride…I call them out….”humble me”.
[Just to point out something, for you, because I had to have it pointed out to me by several teachers, the truth of “more of God and less of me.”
“With less of you there is more of God and His rule.” - To me, this means that when we put down our shame, there is more room for our God to be our focus; for His reign to take over us, HIS temple.]
1 Samuel 2:1-10
(Message)
1 Hannah prayed: I'm bursting with God-news! I'm walking on air.
I'm laughing at my rivals. I'm dancing my salvation.
2-5 Nothing and no one is holy like God,
no rock mountain like our God.
Don't dare talk pretentiously—
not a word of boasting, ever!
For God knows what's going on.
He takes the measure of everything that happens.
The weapons of the strong are smashed to pieces,
while the weak are infused with fresh strength.
The well-fed are out begging in the streets for crusts,
while the hungry are getting second helpings.
The barren woman has a houseful of children,
while the mother of many is bereft.
6-10 God brings death and God brings life,
brings down to the grave and raises up.
God brings poverty and God brings wealth;
he lowers, he also lifts up.
He puts poor people on their feet again;
he rekindles burned-out lives with fresh hope,
Restoring dignity and respect to their lives—
a place in the sun!
For the very structures of earth are God's;
he has laid out his operations on a firm foundation.
He protectively cares for his faithful friends, step by step,
but leaves the wicked to stumble in the dark.
No one makes it in this life by sheer muscle!
God's enemies will be blasted out of the sky,
crashed in a heap and burned.
God will set things right all over the earth,
he'll give strength to his king,
he'll set his anointed on top of the world!
I must confess, and say that I rarely highlight or bold certain scriptures, just because I feel like I am somehow “degrading” the un-highlighted bits, I feel that we should not pass by scripture. I purposefully typed out the whole thing so the lines would flow together, and we could get the full depth. I merely want to let you know my whole thought process on this. The verses are in bold, because I am making a point (just in case it’s not obvious).
Take these scriptures in for yourself. Discover what it means to have a humble spirit, AND how high The King of All Kings exalts us in our lowness. Follow the direction in which the scriptures guide you toward! Also, I highly recommend comparing translations – SO much fun!!!
Okay, so lastly, since I’m on the topic of lowliness, I just want to leave you with the thought of death. To be totally blunt, we are human and we are all going to die! As I write that I feel like Chicken Little, and the whole sky is falling. Haha, how silly right? Come on now! There is a life waiting for us in eternity. However, eternity isn't possible for us to walk into alone. We are finite, so we need some One – who is infinite – to come and let us into the forever.
Consider something even more mind boggling….it took GOD to come on down in a manger, as man, in order for US to be justified! It took Jesus – The Son – to stand in the place of the entire human race and receive the punishment of sin. In a way, He is our homeostasis.
He maintains structure, and says “Okay, I’ll take care of you. I’ll invade, because only I can do this. I love you that much. I will be low for you. I will suffer the scorning. I love you. I choose to show up at your doorstep, and pay off ALL of your lists of debts. I win. I win. I win. There is victory for every human now. Because I get down and grimy; I am God. I have taken away the wall of shame, so now you can step over the ruins and walk on into the Kingdom with Me. You can experience, Me. You chose to lower yourself, and are My lover….Therefore you win. We win.”
I’ve been praying a lot the past few months on Acts. I feel that there have been a lot of other things that randomly pop up and it is the Spirit confirming me on certain truths. I am excited to be able to tie in this verse. Take it in, my friend. I put two different translations, to mix it up a bit. Try to grasp this truth….
Acts 2:24
(NIV)
But God raised him from the dead, freeing him from the agony of death, because it was impossible for death to keep its hold on him.
25 David said about him:
“‘I saw the Lord always before me.
Because he is at my right hand,
I will not be shaken.
26 Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices;
my body also will rest in hope,
27 because you will not abandon me to the realm of the dead,
you will not let your holy one see decay.
28 You have made known to me the paths of life;
you will fill me with joy in your presence.’[a]
Because he is at my right hand,
I will not be shaken.
26 Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices;
my body also will rest in hope,
27 because you will not abandon me to the realm of the dead,
you will not let your holy one see decay.
28 You have made known to me the paths of life;
you will fill me with joy in your presence.’[a]
(MSG)
But God untied the death ropes and raised him up. Death was no match for him.
David said it all:
I saw God before me for all time.
Nothing can shake me; he's right by my side.
I'm glad from the inside out, ecstatic;
I've pitched my tent in the land of hope.
I know you'll never dump me in Hades;
I'll never even smell the stench of death.
You've got my feet on the life-path,
with your face shining sun-joy all around.
Nothing can shake me; he's right by my side.
I'm glad from the inside out, ecstatic;
I've pitched my tent in the land of hope.
I know you'll never dump me in Hades;
I'll never even smell the stench of death.
You've got my feet on the life-path,
with your face shining sun-joy all around.
No comments:
Post a Comment