Thursday, May 26, 2011

Works For A Good Purpose

I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
--Philippians 1:3-6

Wow. The more I read God's Word, I am awed by it. He excites me with His irony. I made that last bit bold to highlight where my main focus is. It's funny, because as I am writing this, I so want to take these first three verses and break them down. Yet, it's totally God that I can't arrange these words in any other order. This is the Truth. Maybe I am speechless to comment what this means to me. Overall, I cannot say it better. This is so real and simple. For the sake of my need to just go on sharing some of my own profound reading moments...I will continue referring to a part of the amazing message this book gives us!

And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God.
(~ 1:9-11)

I only have just a few passages here, but I must say that this one book has totally taken my breath away! For years, the whole Bible has spoke to me in many, many delightful, wonderful ways. Yet, specifically, the season that I am in is unlike my previous understandings. For several reasons, when I read Philippians, it just really clicked and is still clicking in my head. Every single word is intentionally placed. There is so much I could expand upon to enunciate my thoughts on this. However, I feel like keeping this post short n sweet.

His Word brilliantly pronounces who He is! Ah, so awesome. The simple action of just soaking up Truth is purely, profoundly pleasurable....as He intended it!

To be see-through for a portion here, I must say there are a few struggles going on, that are a down right annoyance in my life, currently. I am deeply struggling with “hiding”. That's the best word I have right now. Basically, I have been covering up parts of my stress and wounds. There are things that I have to deal with, that I would much rather put off to the side and ignore the whole world. For instance, a part of my anxiety has been some school projects. I have a project for six of my classes, all are due next week, I've started some, but I'm flustered, and don't want to forget anything. Once I am actually working out the stuff, I'm okay, it's just when my whole focus goes on those assignments. Instead of just staying on task with what is before me, I look at the "big" picture and feel like I have a ton of work to do. 

I have the tenancy to be all tangled up in “fixing” things. My brain often goes to the mentality that if I just think about everything, then I will fix it all at once...it's silly. I'm also stubborn, it's difficult to pull myself away from the comfort of the surrounding “secure” worldly processions. Yet, God has really been after me about these things. 
He wants me to GO to HIM with my struggles. He wants me to pray, pray, and pray with joy for more of the Father, more of Jesus, more of the Spirit. Let me define that sentence further. Although this makes sense to me, it's good to practice being explanatory, especially in this instance. How can we have more of God when He never changes? Perhaps I should say "deeper"? I don't mean climbing a ladder to any special level, simply growth. Just as the roots of trees move with depth within the soil, we too grow deeper within who God is. The Lord is Divine. We are not, therefore, there is so much more for Him to reveal to us.

Philippians has simply reminded me:
  1. Pray with joy
  2. Be confident in grace, and thus, rejoice!
  3. Learn from a Great Teacher
These little bullets are found throughout the whole book, so my words here are built upon what the rest of the book states. I highly recommend reading it individually as well. The major thing that is promoted within every little bit of Paul's letter to the Philipi and the Church, is the good works of the King Of All Glory. The fact that GOD is at work within us, and will CONTINUE to be at work until Christ returns. That means, as long as we are on this planet, we are being worked on. Again, to be honest, that is one of the things that has been stressing me out, being sculpted. I like to know things. I don't like being among a place that isn't going to turn around by the snap of my finger. I am being taught so many things that will ultimately bring me to a more “mature” state. I just wish that time would come A LOT sooner. Sticking things out can be quite a challenge.

Reminding myself again, again, and again, that whatever God is doing in me, whatever struggles I get caught up in, He is at work! Come what may, HE is placing His GOOD intentions that will ultimately renew my mind, body, and spirit. He is changing me in ways that I don't fully comprehend. It's amazing, but weird. It is extremely unlike my flesh to just be okay with the fact that I DO NOT NEED TO DO ANYTHING to earn HIS grace. 
{for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose. (2:3)}

Lastly, we are rooted, grounded, and established IN Him. He is WITH us. We are one with He who has set us free. He is the single being who's blood was poured out to provide for us. The Almighty Lord knows we do not deserve this acceptance into a life eternally with Him. But He also knows He is GOD, and He can do whatever He likes. If He delights in intimacy with His creation. He desires that we know such a God who would do this for us.

founded in Him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ – the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith. I want to know Christ and the power of His resurrection....(3:9-10)

No comments:

Post a Comment